Basic Life Support (Formerly BLS for Healthcare Providers)
Basic Life Support (BLS) is the foundation for saving lives after cardiac arrest. The BLS Provider course is designed for healthcare professionals and trained first responders who provide care to patients in a wide variety of settings, and teaches both single-rescuer and team basic life support skills for application in pre-hospital and in-facility settings.
Course Duration 4.5 hours
Course Card: Successful students will be awarded a BLS Provider card, valid for 1 year.
Full Course – $100.00
Recertification – $75.00
- The importance of CPR and its impact on survival
- The concepts of the Chain of Survival
- Recognizing when someone needs CPR
- Perform CPR for adults, children and infants
- Describe the importance of early use of an AED (Automated External Defibrillator) and demonstrate its use
- Provide effective ventilations
- The importance of multi-rescuer resuscitation during CPR
- Relief of a foreign-body airway obstruction for adults, children and infants
Note: This course is eligible for two (2) credits per hour under section 2 of the MOC Program and satisfies the requirements for the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada.